• Users Online: 2935
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLES
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 5  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 59-68

Surgical repair of abdominal wall hernias in rural southeast Nigeria: Barriers, outcomes, and opportunities for change


1 Department of Surgery Bishop Shanahan Specialist Hospital, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria; Department of Surgery Mater Misericordie Hospital, Afikpo, Ebonyi State, Nigeria; Department of Surgery, Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki (AEFUTHA), Ebonyi State, Nigeria; Department of Surgery, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki (EBSU), Ebonyi State, Nigeria
2 Department of Surgery Bishop Shanahan Specialist Hospital, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria; Uwani General Hospital, Enugu State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Aloysius Ugwu-Olisa Ogbuanya
Department of Surgery, Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital, PMB 102, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijawhs.ijawhs_79_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Abdominal wall hernias constitute a significant cause of morbidity and mortality globally, but more importantly, they present a more pathetic situation in rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa and other developing nations. In our setting, the rate of elective repair is still too low and many cases present late, often with complications. This study aimed at documenting the spectrum, barriers to early repair, and factors that influence the outcomes of repair. Materials and Methods: A prospective study of adult patients surgically treated for abdominal wall hernia in rural southeast Nigeria between January 2014 and December 2019. Results: Overall, 975 patients were recruited: 706 (72.4%) had simple uncomplicated hernias, whereas the rest (269, 27.6%) presented in the emergency. Inguinal hernias comprised 74.1% of the cases followed by primary midline hernias (14.5%). Delayed presentation was common, with only 2.3% presenting within three months and the main reason being financial constraint (31.0%) followed by ignorance (12.2%). A third (324, 33.2%) of the patients harbored complete inguinoscrotal/inguinolabial hernias. Nearly a quarter (240, 24.6%) had comorbid illnesses, 14.9% harbored recurrent hernias, and more than a third (43.4%) had hernias with defect sizes >5 cm. Wound infection rates were 34.6% in the emergency group, 26.2% in the elderly, 20.7% for those with recurrent hernias, and 17.1% in those with comorbidities. Morbidity rates were greater in patients with hernia defects >10 cm (37.8%), inguinoscrotal/inguinolabial hernias (18.5%), and those who received bowel resection (56.7%). Generally, elevated wound infection and high overall morbidity rates were associated with emergency presentation (P = 0.000), advancing age (P = 0.030), procedures performed by a nonspecialist surgeon (P = 0.014), and large hernia variants (P = 0.000). Overall, mortality rate was 2.9%, but it was 9.7% in those with emergency repair. The main independent predictors of mortality were intestinal resection (P = 0.000), delayed presentation (0.003), advanced age (0.020), and comorbidities (P = 0.002). Conclusion: Delayed presentation, often in an emergency setup, is common among patients with abdominal wall hernias in our rural practice. Financial impediments and ignorance were the main barriers to early presentation and elective repair. Consequently, morbidity and mortality rates were high, especially in the setting of advancing age, delayed presentation, coexisting medical conditions, and bowel resection.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed938    
    Printed56    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded99    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal